Monday, September 10, 2012

salted-caramel apple pie


Pertinent factoid: I do not bake.

Usually, if I bake something for you, I am either a) trying to poison you or b) apologizing for something I have done wrong.

Many wise women have said that the key to baking is precision. This requires an exceptional amount of patience, a trait of which I have decidedly little. I believe that in the kitchen one should be wild, experimental, instinctive, creative, not measuring and sifting and pinching and dashing.

That being said – I’m all about trying new things. So when a girlfriend of mine described preparing a peanut butter pie for her beloved, and his subsequent goddess-like worship of her, I figured there just might be something to getting all old-school domestic and making a pie.

Since neither B nor I are big peanut butter people (haha, picturing people made out of peanut butter, the funnies) I went with apple instead, with a drizzle of homemade salted caramel for good measure. And since B and I are both big bourbon fans, I went with a big hearty splash of Jack Daniels in the filling. Aaaand maybe a wee bit in my coffee, too…

3.14159265359

salted-caramel apple pie

1 double-crust pie crust recipe (I used the Trader Joe’s premade crust, don’t judge…)
6 green apples, thinly sliced
2 TBSP flour
½ cup sugar
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 cup salted caramel (click for recipe, big thanks to brown-eyed baker for step-by-step recipe with pictures)
Pinch salt
Pinch nutmeg
Big splash of bourbon

Preheat oven to 425. Mix all ingredients. Put in crust-lined pan, top with other crust, poke slits in top to vent. Bake for 45 minutes, let cool at least two hours before slicing, serving with vanilla ice cream and drizzling plate with extra salted caramel.

No comments:

Post a Comment