Wednesday, August 22, 2012

easy egg and avocado salad with tomatoes and banana peppers


Confession time: I am not an avocado fan.

This statement is not to be misread as “I am not a guacamole fan,” because let’s be honest: who ISN’T a guacamole fan? Maybe Hitler, because he’s German and dead, but that is probably about it. The additions of lime juice and spicy pico are in my opinion what turn bland, crayonlike alien green mush into creamy, tart chip heaven. Plain avocados merely pale in comparison.

But alas -- they’re good for you. Like, really good for you. So there I was this morning, bound and determined to somehow incorporate those wrinkly little suckers into my diet, thinking “how can I make this work?”


ready for my close-up

What resulted was the product of a sort-of kitchen-sink mentality: throw things together and see how it goes. And it went oh so very well. Spicy, tart banana peppers cut through the creaminess of the avocado and add the crunch that would have been present had I actually thought to stock celery in the refrigerator.  

And a little tip for you carni/omnivores out there: Adding crumbled bacon would send this salad off the charts.


omg hi

easy egg and avocado salad with tomatoes and banana peppers
4 eggs, hard-boiled and diced
1 avocado, diced
banana peppers, minced
grape tomatoes, quartered
mustard (I used regular but whole-grain would be much amazings)
garlic powder
tabasco
salt and pepper

Mix everything together sloppily in a bowl while racing the clock to make it to work on time. Slather on toast with veggies, try not to spill all over self during commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment